Southampton only winners in Barclays Women’s Championship

Barclays FA Womens Championship - Lewes vs Southampton - The Dripping Pan
Molly Pike (14 Southampton) is congratulated on her goal against Lewes (Tom Phillips / SPP)

Southampton made a winning start to their Barclays Women’s Championship campaign, while all Sunday’s other four fixtures ended in draws.

Watford 1-1 Durham (Att: 317)
Sunderland 0-0 London City Lionesses
Crystal Palace 1-1 Reading
Charlton Athletic 1-1 Sheffield United (Att: 932)
Lewes 1-4 Southampton (Att: 908)

Southampton came from behind to take all three points at Lewes, whose Hollie Olding had struck first from long range. Katie Wilkinson quickly levelled and Sophia Pharoah headed the Saints in front by half time. Ella Morris came off the bench to make it 3-1 and then turned provider for Molly Pike.

Reading’s Sanna Troelsgaard hit the Crystal Palace bar, with the Eagles responding as Annabel Blanchard’s strike was turned away from the top corner by Emily Orman. In first-half added time, Natalia Negri tipped over a long-range effort from the Royals’ Lauren Wade. Blanchard volleyed over in the last ten minutes, Deanna Cooper made the breakthrough for Reading, only for Palace to hit back in the 12th minute of stoppage-time as Elise Hughes headed home from Fliss Gibbons’ cross.

Barclays FA Womens Championship - Crystal Palace v Reading - VBS Community Stadium
Crystal Palace celebrate Elise Hughes’ very late equaliser. (Liam Asman/SPP)

Durham took less than 90 seconds to score at Watford, Saoirse Noonan sending Molly Lambert away to finish confidently. Despite Durham pressure, Carly Johns levelled by lobbing Naoisha McAloon after Coral-Jade Haines hit a ball over the top. The Wildcats’ Jess Clarke was denied a second-half winner when rattling the crossbar.

Sunderland went closest in the first half, as Jenna Dear found the London City side-netting for the hosts. Katie Watson beat City keeper Grace Moloney to the ball but Emily Scarr fired a golden chance over the empty net. Watson was denied by Moloney in stoppage-time, as the game ended goalless.

Kayleigh Green intercepted a backpass to give Charlton Athletic an early lead over Sheffield United at The Valley. Isobel Goodwin was close to an equaliser more than once and Ashley Hodson should have found the net for the Blades. The Addicks were holding onto their slender advantage, until Bex Rayner fired United back on level terms.

London City Lionesses sign Chantelle Boye-Hlorkah

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter