Farsley Celtic give Bradford City a fright

Photo: @SotonWomensFC

Midweek local cup action brought a hard-fought wins for Bradford City and Southampton WFC Reserves, while The New Saints comfortably progressed after overcoming some first-half resistance.

Celtic suffer late defeat by City 

North East League Farsley Celtic, who play two divisions beneath FA WPL side Bradford City, gave the West Riding Cup holders a real fright.

Not only did the underdogs hold the Bantams 0-0 until near the end but they were even denied by the crossbar with 10 minutes to go.

Bradford finally made the breakthrough and swiftly added a second, after which Celtic struck the bar again.

City will now meet Leeds United Reserves or Guiseley Vixens in the final on 1st May, with the second semi set for the County FA’s Fleet Lane ground on 21st March.

Southampton fightback to pip Police

Southampton Women’s FC Reserves came back from 2-0 down to defeat Hampshire Police 5-4 after extra-time in the semi-finals of the Southampton Divisional FA Cup.

There was a debut goal for Southampton’s Kim Whitcombe in the first half and Kirsty Bell marked her return from injury by netting a penalty after the break to make it 2-2.

Both sides then netted from distance, Whitcombe with her second and then the Police equalising.

Rebecca Cork restored Southampton’s lead and although Hampshire Constabulary hit back again, a goalmouth scramble led to the winner, with Karleen Hellard getting the final touch.

Three-goal Charlotte Canlett. (Photo: @TNSLFC)

Eastleigh host New Milton Town in the other semi-final on 22nd March.

Saints break Rangers’ resistance

TNS will take on Shrewsbury Town in the Shropshire FA Tom Farmer Cup Final following a 9-0 win over Staffordshire League basement side Ellesmere Rangers.

Sarah Jackson opened the scoring for the Saints but Rangers – who play three divisions lower – held them to 1-0 until two late first-half goals from Charlotte Canlett.

Jackson completed her brace after the break and Canlett her hat-trick but the rest of the goals came in the dying minutes, with two for Holly Turnbull, one apiece from Laura Morris and Sophie Edwards.

The Shrews had reached the final win a 2-1 victory over AFC Telford at the weekend.

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter