Seven Up For Accies, City And Forfar In #SSESWCup

Forfar Farmington, Glasgow City and Hamilton Academical all won 7-0 in the SSE Scottish Cup but there were some tight ties elsewhere.

Forfar Farmington 7-0 Buchan
Hibernian P-P Celtic 
Hamilton Academical 7-0 Granite City
Rangers 4-2 Stirling University
Queens Park 1-2 Jeanfield Swifts
Cumbernauld Colts 4-3(aet) Boroughmuir Thistle
Hearts 0-7 Glasgow City
Renfrew 0-1 Glasgow Girls

Abbi Grant’s goal was the only difference between Glasgow City and hosts Hearts until the visitors struck twice more just before the break, through Leanne Ross and debutant Joanne Paton (pictured top by Tommy Hughes). A Joelle Murray effort was adjudged to have crossed the line to make it 4-0 over the SWPL 2 team, with Hayley Lauder and Brogan Hay also finding the net, while Katie McCabe won a penalty which Ross converted.

Forfar’s Julia Scott hit a hat-trick in her side’s 7-0 beating of Buchan but it was an own goal by Lauren Sangster which opened the scoring at Station Park. Robyn Smith fired home from 25 yards, with Alana Bruce and Laura Parsley also on target for the SWPL 1 leaders.

Hamilton chipped away at Granite City to also post a 7-0 win, Deborah McLeod bagged a brace, with Mhairi Lyle, Amy Anderson, Emma Lyons and Laura Gallen all adding singles, plus there was an own-goal from the SWFL Division 1 North outfit.

Seven goals were more evenly shared as Cumbernauld edged past Boroughmuir 4-3 after extra-time, to carry the Scottish League flag into the last eight. Frankie Fern opened the scoring from 25 yards out and Sarah Wardlaw doubled the Colts advantage but Thistle quickly pulled one back and then levelled in the last 5 minutes. Thistle went ahead in extra-time through Steph Read but would end up a player short through injury, as Fern made it 3-3 and Melissa Porter hit the winner with 3 minutes left.

Rangers trailed 2-1 to Stirling University at half-time but fought back for a 4-2 victory in the all top flight clash. Although Lauren Davidson scored first for the Gers, Jade Gallon equalised with a deflected 44th-minute free kick and then netted a stoppage-time penalty. But Chelsie Watson headed home a corner early in the second half to make it 2-2, Hayley Sinclair restored the home advantage, before Chantelle Brown secured their progress with a fourth goal.

Jeanfield Swifts scored twice in 7 second-half minutes to seal victory away at Queens Park. Megan Moss lobbed the keeper from outside the box and got her second with the help of Ellie Cowie. The response from the Spiders was too little too late, coming deep into added time.

Lauren Coleman got the only goal of the game 15 minutes from time, as Glasgow Girls were victorious at lower league Renfrew, who compete in SWFL Division 1 South.

Hibernian’s tie with Celtic was postponed until 3rd September, as Hibs are in Romania for this week’s Champions League qualifiers.

The draw for the last eight of the SSE Scottish Women’s Cup will take place this Tuesday at 11am.

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter