#FAWC : Spurs Ladies battle back to extend 100% record

Rianna Dean bagged a brace for Tottenham. (Photo:: @ThlfcOfficial)

Manchester United stayed top of the FA Women’s Championship when sending Chartlon Athletic to a 3-0 defeat, Spurs made it four straight wins when coming from behind to take a 3-1 result at Lewes.

FA Women’s Championship results for 14 October

Aston Villa 0-0 Durham (Att: 185)
Manchester United 3-0 Charlton Athletic (Att: 2,439)
Crystal Palace 1-0 London Bees
Lewes 1-3 Tottenham Hotspur (Att: 714)
Millwall Lionesses 1-2 Leicester City WFC

Man United extend unbeaten start

Manchester United made it four wins from five games with a 3-0 home win over Charlton Athletic.

The hosts took a 16th-minute lead when Alex Greenwood found Katie Zelem and she curled the ball past goalkeeper Katie Startup.

Grace Coombs prevented a United tap in and although Kirsty Hanson did have the ball in the net, it was disallowed for offside.

The Addicks went close to a leveller just before the break, when Gemma Bryan’s cross was headed against the crossbar by Elizabeta Ejupi.

The lead was doubled approaching the hour mark, Jess Sigsworth putting in the rebound from her own header after Lizzie Arnot also hit the bar.

It was Arnot though who made the game safe with 15 minutes left, with a close-range finish after Ella Toone’s effort was parried.

Tottenham overcome early deficit

Tottenham Hotspur went behind at Lewes but a Rianna Dean double helped them continue their perfect start to the season with a 3-1 win.

Sarah Kempson drill the ball into the bottom corner of the Spurs net after they failed to clear a 14th-minute corner.

Bianca Baptiste intercepted a back pass from Charley Boswell to takes the ball around keeper Nina Wilson to slot it into an empty net for the equaliser.

Rianna Dean struck twice in a 13-minute spell leading up the half-time and although the Rookettes could have reduced the arrears from a penalty, Chloe Morgan saved Avilla Bergin’s effort.

Foxes fightback to defeat Lionesses

Photo: @LCWFC_official

Rosie Axten scored twice as Leicester City WFC came from 1-0 down to win 2-1 at Millwall and go third in the table.

The Lionesses took the lead with a well placed Beth Lumsden free kick on 20 minutes.

Rosie Axten levelled from the spot just after the hour mark and netted the decider a quarter of an hour later, with her free-kick in off the underside of the crossbar.

Hincks has Eagle-eye for goal

Ashlee Hincks’ first-half pile-driver saw Crystal Palace clinch a first win at home to London Bees, as they leapfrogged them to go seventh in the table.

The only goal arrived in the 21st minute, as Kallie Balfour laid the ball off for Hincks to take a touch and rifle home a low shot.

She had the chance to double the lead from the spot on the hour mark but Sarah Quantrill turned the penalty round the post.

The Bees’ Annabel Johnson hit the bar and her side also went close to an equaliser when Shannell Salgado was called upon to pull off a great save.

Villa off the mark

Aston Villa picked up their first point in a goalless game with Durham, as the visitors recorded a third draw in four matches.

Kerri Welsh was forced to head off the Villa line early on but nearly opened the scoring close to half time but for a sliding tackle from Becky Salicki.

The Wildcats’ Nicki Gears struck the bar into the last quarter of the game, also forcing a couple of saves from Sian Rogers.

Villa had chances to net a late winner but Hollie Gibson’s free-kick was headed wide by substitute Tanisha Smith, before Nadine Hanssen’s volley to the back post was nodded over by Alison Hall.

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter