Scottish Women’s Football (SWF) have announced the winners of this year’s Annual Awards, with Chelsea and Scotland’s Erin Cuthbert the MG ALBA International Player of the Year.
The glittering awards, the first since 2013, were held at the Hilton Hotel in Glasgow, and were sponsored by MG ALBA – the parent company of BBC ALBA which televises the women’s game in Scotland.
The winner of the coveted SWPL 1 Player of the Year award was Glasgow City’s Nicola Docherty. The defender, who has played for the team since 2012 helped Glasgow City win the league title for the 12th year running.
It was the formidable run of success which bagged Glasgow City the much sought after Scotmid Senior Team of the Year award.
The final award of the night was the SSE Service to Girls’ and Women’s Football which went to Walter McGill, who after ten years coaching for Spartan Ladies, retired from his position in January this year.
Scottish Women’s Football Chair, Vivienne MacLaren, said:
“For us at Scottish Women’s Football (SWF), putting these awards on is all about celebrating the various successes within the girls’ and women’s game. To see so many people here that are unbelievably committed, many of whom are volunteers, is really inspiring.
“The last time we had our Annual Awards was 2013, and a lot has changed since then. Everyone in the room tonight has contributed to the progress within the game and I’d like to say thank you to them all. We are excited about what the future holds for girls’ and women’s football in this country.”
Iseabail Mactaggart, Director of Strategy and Partnerships at MG ALBA said:
“It’s been a real pleasure for MG ALBA to be involved in these awards. As an organisation, we’re incredibly committed to the growth of women’s football, and we’re proud of being the Home of Scottish Women’s Football.
“It’s fantastic to see so many inspirational women in one room. It’s a real time for change within the women’s game and it’s great to be at the forefront of that.”
WINNERS BY CATEGORY – 2018 AWARDS
- Scottish Building Society SWPL 1 Golden Boot Award: Abi Harrison, Hibernian Ladies
- Scottish Building Society SWPL 2 Golden Boot Award: Suzanne Mulvey, Motherwell Ladies
- Recognition Express Volunteer of the Year: Florence Haines, Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale
- SportScotland Youth Player of the Year Award: Carly Girasoli, Glasgow City
- Scotmid SWFL Division Two Player of the Year: Charlotte Gammie, Montrose
- Scotmid SWFL Division One Player of the Year: Ashley Mckeown, Queen’s Park
- Scottish Building Society SWPL 2 Player of the Year: Suzanne Mulvey, Motherwell Ladies
- Scottish Building Society SWPL 1 Player of the Year: Nicola Docherty, Glasgow City
- MG ALBA International Player of the Year: Erin Cuthbert
- inspiresport Youth Team of the Year: Celtic U15s
- Who Cares? Scotland Youth Coach of the Year: Tommy Russo, Cove Youth FC
- Scotmid Senior Team of the Year: Glasgow City FC
- Rock Sport Radio Senior Coach of the Year: Grant Scott, Hibernian Ladies
- Nemeton TV Save of the Season: Ashleigh Smith, Boroughmuir Thistle v RAITH ROVERS
- The Daily Record Goal of the Season: Beth McKay, STIRLING UNIVERSITY v Hamilton Academical
- SSE Service to Girls’ and Women’s Football: Walter McGill