Vitality Women’s FA Cup: City fightback to win Manchester derby

Man Coty won at Man Utd in the Women's FA Cup
Manchester City defender Demi Stokes gets forward against Manchester United. (Richard Callis/Sports Press Photo)

Manchester City won 4-1 at Manchester United in the Vitality Women’s FA Cup 5th Round after being behind at the break.

Liverpool 0-4 Arsenal
Manchester United 1-4 Manchester City (Att: 2,335)
Charlton Athletic 0-2 Everton
Durham 0-1 Birmingham City
Ipswich Town 1-0 (aet) Southampton FC (4-2 on pens) (Att: 1,167)
Reading 0-1 (aet) West Ham United
West Bromwich Albion 2-4 Coventry United

Man City comeback to win derby clash

Ellie Roebuck tipped over a great strike from Ellie Toone but from the resulting corner, United’s Katie Zelem’s curled the ball straight in inside the far post.

Lucy Bronze fired inches wide as City went close to an equaliser before the break but it was after the restart that they took control.

Hayley Raso crossed for Lauren Hemp to stab home, Ellen White pounced on Hannah Blundell’s poor header to score and it was 3-1 by the hour mark as Caroline Weir whipped in a near-post shot that beat Mary Earps.

Seconds after coming off the bench, Julie Blakstad and Khadija Shaw played a part in City’s fourth goal, Earps parrying a shot before the latter followed up to tap in.

Arsenal overcame Championship leaders Liverpool to ease into the last eight

Arsenal wom at Liverpool in the Vtality Women;s FA Cup
Caitlin Foord celebrates Arsenal’s opening goal with Rafaelle. (Natalie Mincher/Sports Press Photo)

Opportunities at either end around the 20-minute mark saw Rafaelle play in Caitlin Foord to give the Gunners the lead, Leanne Kiernan breaking into the box but firing wide for the Reds.

Two more goals in a three-minute spell effectively sealed Arsenal’s progress, Katie McCabe’s fantastic volley could only be helped into the roof of the net by Rachel Laws and Foord then shooting on the turn from outside the box to make it 3-0.

Foord was again involved just after the hour mark, as Kim Little got the Gunners fourth goal.

Hammers clinch victory in extra-time

Reading v West Ham
Reading’s Gemma Evans has her shot saved by Mackenzie Arnold of West Ham. (Photo: Warren Little/Getty Images)

Reading and West Ham were goalless after 90+ minutes and the decisive moment came just before half-time in extra-time.

Dagný Brynjarsdóttir followed up a blocked shot and fired the ball into the roof of the net.

Record crowd rewarded with Ipswich win

Ipswich Town will carry the FAWNL flag into the quarter-finals after edging Southern Premier Division title rivals Southampton 4-2 on penalties.

The highest ever attendance for a Tractor Girls home fixture of 1,167 saw Anna Grey volley home with ten minutes of the extra-time left to play.

However, more drama was to come as Saints keeper Kayla Rendell went up for a last-gasp set-piece and nodded in the leveller.

Rendell then took the Saints opening penalty but Sarah Quantrill made the first of two saves in the shoot-out.

Birmingham defeat Durham

Durham hosted Birmingham City Women
Birmingham City’s Sarah Ewens is challenged by Sarah Wilson of Durham. (Photo: Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Marie Hourihan made a crucial second-half save to deny Durham’s Lauren Briggs before Birmingham City made a late breakthrough.

Down to the last dozen minutes, Veatriki Sarri delivered a corner kick and it was put in the back of the net by Louise Quinn’s glancing header.

Everton win at Charlton

kenza Dali scored for Everton at Charlton.
Beth Roe of Charlton Athletic and Everton’s opening scorer Kenza Dali. (Liam Asman/Sports Press Photo)

Kenza Dali gave Everton the lead at Charlton after 33 minutes, cutting in and curling the ball into the top corner.

Substitute Anna Anvegard doubled the Toffees’ lead 15 minutes from time, against their second-tier hosts.

Coventry through despite red card

Coven6ry United beat West Brom in the Women's FA Cup
Alanah Mann gives Coventry United the lead at West Brom. (Gareth Evans/Sports Press Photo)

Coventry took an early lead at West Brom, Charlie Estcourt had two shots blocked but the ball fell to Alanah Mann to slot home her first senior goal.

Nat Johnson fired in a second for United and although Shannon Stamps swiftly replied for the Baggies, Katie Wilkinson hit home via a corner to make it 3-1.

With 15 minutes to go, Coventry had Natalie Haigh sent off for pulling back Mariam Mahmood and Leigh Dugmore converted the resulting penalty.

But the Championship side secured their progress when Olivia Fergusson regained a two-goal cushion.

The quarter-final draw in on Tuesday 1 March from 9:15am on BBC One’s Morning Live show.

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter