Southampton extend winning start in Barclays Women’s Championship

Barclays Womens Championship - Southampton vs Blackburn Rovers - St Marys Stadium.
Lucy Shephard (Blackburn) and Lucia Kendall (Southampton) in action at St Marys Stadium. (Tom Phillips/SPP)

Southampton made it back-to-back wins with a 2-0 victory over Blackburn Rovers to stay top of the Barclays Women’s Championship.

Durham 2-0 Lewes
London City Lionesses 3-2 Watford
Southampton 2-0 Blackburn Rovers
Birmingham City 1-2 Crystal Palace
Sheffield United 0-1 Sunderland

Southampton extended their winning start with a 2-0 victory over Blackburn Rovers. The Saints struck very soon after the restart, when Sophia Pharoah took down a ball over the top and finished past keeper Alex Brooks. Lucia Kendall doubled the advantage in stoppage-time, with her strike going in off keeper and post.

There were three late goals as Crystal Palace came away from Birmingham City with three points, leaving last season’s runners-up without a point after two games. Aimee Everett headed home a Fliss Gibbons cross and Annabel Blanchard played in 17-year-old debutant Araya Dennis to double the lead, before the Blues replied during injury time.

FA Womens Championship - Birmingham City v Crystal Palace - St Andrews
Celebration after Aimee Everett scores for Crystal Palace at St Andrews. (Natalie Mincher/SPP)

London City Lionesses came from behind to eventually see off Watford for a hard-fought first win. Grace Moloney could not keep out Abbie Lafayette’s far post shot but the hosts hit back with two goals in little over 10 minutes. Connie Scofield squeezed the ball home inside the keeper’s near post, then Watford gifted possession to Danielle Carter who punished them from 20 yards. Chantelle Boye-Hlorkah increased the lead from distance in the second half, Carly Johns quickly replying for the Hornets.

Sunderland are the only side yet to concede after getting the only goal of the game at Bramall Lane. They took a first-half lead at Sheffield United, Katie Kitching’ cross met with a defensive header before Mary McAteer volleyed the loose ball into the bottom corner. The Blades finished with ten players, as Jess Sigsworth was sent off in the tenth minute of added time.

Durham defeated Lewes with second-half goals to move onto four points from two games. Sarah Wilson helped make the breakthrough into the last ten minutes, Amy Andrews just getting the final touch to her her cross. The points were made safe in added time, Eleanor Ryan-Doyle played in Poppy Pritchard to fire home.

NIWFA Divisional Cup finals round-up

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter