#ParksSWPL: Celtic Women defeat Aberdeen after late come back

Celtic figthback to defeat Aberdeen
Photo: Stephen Dobson/PSI via Imago

Celtic needed a late comeback to defeat Aberdeen in the Park’s Motor Group Scottish Women’s Premier League 1.


Partick Thistle 0-1 Rangers
Celtic 3-1 Aberdeen
Spartans 0-0 Hibernian
Hamilton Academical 0-1 Hearts
Motherwell 1-5 Glasgow City

Rangers remained two points clear at the top of the table with a narrow away win at Partick Thistle. They led for most of the game though, with Chelsea Cornet firing past Lauren McGregor with only 11 minutes played. Rangers’ Jane Ross had a goal ruled out for offside, Chantelle Swaby had a shot tipped over by the Thistle keeper and Demi Vance was denied by the visitors’ crossbar.

Glasgow City stayed on the leaders tails with a 5-1 victory at Motherwell, where all the goals came in the second half. Priscila Chinchilla broke the deadlock, Ode Fulutudilu added a quick brace, Aoife Colvill and Jenna Clark one apiece, before Katie Rice replied from distance.

Third-placed Celtic kept up the chase with a 3-1 defeat of Aberdeen, having been behind at the break. Bayley Hutchison took advantage of a poor pass to give the Dons the lead, and it wasn’t until the 75th minute that Celtic levelled through Clarissa Larisey. The super-sub scored again from a Charlie Wellings pass and Cheyenne Shorts rounded off the win when heading in Tyler Toland’s cross.

Hibernian are seven points behind in fourth following their goalless draw at local rivals Spartans. Hibs’ full-back Amy Muir came closest to scoring, but saw her powerful shot hit the underside of the bar and come back out.

Hearts jumped up three places to sixth after getting the only goal of the game at basement side Hamilton. Lia Tweedie made the difference with her strike in the final ten minutes.


St Johnstone 2-3 Boroughmuir Thistle
Kilmarnock 2-2 Glasgow Women
Stirling University 1-5 Dundee United

Dundee United’s 5-1 result at Stirling University – achieved with the help of a Jade McLaren hat-trick – gave them a two-point lead at the top, after Glasgow Women were held 2-2 at third-placed Kilmarnock.

Nyla Murphy and Millie Ramsay had given Glasgow Women a two-goal lead but it was wiped out quickly by Shelley Campbell’s free kick and an Amy Robinson goal. Kilmarnock had Amy Burrows sent off on 81 minutes but the visitors were unable to take advantage.

Boroughmuir Thistle are within two points of Killie after they fought back from two down for a 3-2 victory at St Johnstone. Alix Modie and Morgan Steedman scored for the hosts, Anna Murray halved the deficit before late goals from Hannah Davie and Sammy Duncan.

#AdranLeagues: Swansea City Ladies edge top of the table clash

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter