Man United Women dramatically take title race to final day

Chelsea FC v Arsenal - Barclays Women's Super League
Magdalena Eriksson of Chelsea celebrates after scoring her team’s second goal. (Photo by Steve Bardens/Getty Images)

Manchester United’s stoppage-time winner took the Barclays Women’s Super League title race with Chelsea to the final day.

Chelsea 2-0 Arsenal (Att: 3,456)
Everton 2-1 Brighton & Hove Albion
Aston Villa 3-3 Liverpool (Att: 7,517)
Leicester City 1-2 West Ham United (Att: 4,023)
Manchester United 2-1 Manchester City (Att: 7,864)

Chelsea saw off Arsenal with a strong first-half performance and two goals, before the Gunners’ response was frustrated by a penalty miss.

Sam Kerr had the ball in the net but was flagged offside, Ann-Katrin Berger denied a good chance for Stina Blackstenius, before Eve Perisset’s long ball into the box was directed home by Guro Reiten.

It needed two attempts by Berger to keep our a Frida Maanum strike, but Chelsea doubled their lead by the break via Reiten’s free kick which Kerr headed down and Magdalena Eriksson stabbed in.

Caitlin Foord turned Victoria Pelova’s driven cross against the bar and Katie McCabe pulled her penalty wide after handball a Sophie Ingle handball.

Manchester United v Manchester City - Barclays Women's Super League
Lauren Hemp of Manchester City and Leah Galton of Manchester United. (Photo by Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

Manchester United grabbed a stoppage-time winner to break the hearts of ten-player Manchester City.

Less than two minutes in, United’s Hayley Ladd found the top corner from outside the box. City were down to ten before the break, Ellie Roebuck sent off for taking out Nikita Parris.

Chloe Kelly headed against the United bar and midway through the second half, Filippa Angeldahl’s cross flew straight in.

Khiara Keating made a double save and straight down the other end, Hayley Raso nearly gave City the lead but it was United who got the goal in added time through Lucia Garcia.

Leicester City missed a chance to secure their status when beaten at home by West Ham, in a  match that was held up in the opening minutes by the due sprinklers coming on.

Anouk Denton’s deflected effort off Sophie Howard looped over Janina Leitzig and inside the far post.

The Hammers doubled their lead on the hour, Howard handling Risa Shimizu’s cross and Dagny Brynjarsdottir converting the penalty.

Aileen Whelan hit the bar for the Foxes but they had Ruby Mace sent off in stoppage time before Hannah Cain pulled one back from the penalty spot.

Everton finished sixth after a late winner at home to Brighton. Katja Snoeijs gave the Toffees the lead from a tight angle after 32 minutes but Katie Robinson equalised just before the break from Julia Olme’s through ball.

In added time, the hosts’ Hanna Bennison worked some space on the edge of the box and fired into the corner of the net.

Barclays FA Womens Super League - Aston Villa v Liverpool - Villa Park
Celebration after Natasha Dowie (29 Liverpool) scores her team’s second goal at Villa Park. (Natalie Mincher/SPP)

Aston Villa and Liverpool finished three goals apiece at Villa Park.

Villa took an early lead through Kirsty Hanson, Katie Stengel and Natasha Dowie turned the game around for Liverpool, only for Rachel Daly to level on 45 minutes.

Stengel got her second of the game to restore the Reds’ advantage but Hanson also doubled her tally also to share the points.

Glasgow City win Scottish Women’s Premier League in added time

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter