#FAWSL: Spurs Women held at the death by ten-player West Ham

Rosealla Ayane scored a penalty for Spurs v West Ham
Rosella Ayane of Tottenham Hotspur celebrates after scoring from the penalty spot. (Photo: Alex Davidson/Getty Images)

Spurs were denied second place in the Barclays FA Women’s Super League as West Ham levelled in stoppage-time.

Leicester City 1-0 Brighton & Hove Albion
Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 West Ham United

Tottenham Hotspur were set to go above both Manchester United and Chelsea with victory over West Ham, until Kate Longhurst headed a very late leveller for ten-player West Ham.

Spurs had been enjoying the better of the first half until the Hammers threatened late on. Josie Green was all but through on goal for the hosts until Gilly Flaherty intervened, after which Claudia Walker had a shot deflected over the Tottenham crossbar and a Grace Fisk effort also went too high.

Early in the second half, Hawa Cissoko brought down Jiali Tang in the box and Rosella Ayane was clinical with the placement of her penalty past Anna Leat into the bottom corner.

Cissoko soon walked for a second caution, before Lucy Parker prevented an Ashleigh Neville effort potentially ending up in the back of the Hammers’ net.

Then up popped Longhurst for the dramatic 93rd-minute equaliser.

Leicester City secure second win

Leicester City took the lead against Brighton
Shannon O’Brien celebrates scoring Leicester City’s opener against Brighton. (Photo: Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

Leicester City edged Brighton 1-0 to climb off the foot of the table at the expense of Birmingham City.

Leicester had the better of the first half at the King Power Stadium, where Abbie McManus came closest to scoring when her effort was well saved by Megan Walsh.

Jess Sigsworth got beyond the Brighton defence but was unable to get her shot away before Inessa Kaagman got back to block.

Emily Simpkins saw her effort deflected over the Foxes’ crossbar and Esme de Graaf had the ball in the visitors’ net but the flag had already been raised for offside.

Leicester made the breakthrough less than ten minutes into the second half,  Siân Tierney sending Sigsworth away to cut the ball back for Shannon O’Brien, who swept it home.

Ashleigh Plumptre and Sigsworth both had chances to double the lead, after which the Foxes survived some scares as Kayleigh Green twice went close and was also thwarted as Demi Lambourne rushed out to dispossess her.

#FAWNL: Six-goal Fylde go top of Northern Premier

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter