#FAWSL: Manchester United Women fightback to draw with City

Tobin Heath of Manchester United
Tobin Heath after getting Manchester United back into the game. (Photo: Lynne Cameron for The FA)

Manchester United retrieved a two-goal deficit against Manchester City to stay five points ahead of them in the Barclays FA Women’s Super League

BARCLAYS FA WSL – results for 14 November

Manchester United 2-2 Manchester City
Aston Villa 0-1 Birmingham City
Everton 1-1 Reading
Bristol City 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur

United fightback to hold City

Manchester City let a 2-0 interval lead slip as Manchester United hit back twice for a 2-2 tie at the start of Women’s Football Weekend.

Chloe Kelly’s clever flick with her back to goal gave the visitors an early lead and after dominating the first half, it was in added time that Laura Coombs rifled in their second.

Tobin Heath collected a stray defensive pass and thumped it into the roof of the net to put the home side back in it, Kirsty Hanson coming off the bench to level after her initial shot was parried by Ellie Roebuck.

Demi Stokes cleared a Lucy Staniforth effort off the line to prevent United taking all three points.

Walker hits Blues winner

Claudia Walker of Birmingham City celebrates
Claudia Walker of Birmingham City celebrates scoring. (Photo: Paul Currie for The FA)

Birmingham City could only name two subs due to an injury crisis but still managed to win away at local rivals Aston Villa.

Stine Larsen was just off target for the hosts via a first-half corner but inside the last 20 minutes, Lucy Whipp’s cross was hit home off the bar by Claudia Walker.

There was late effort for an equaliser but Caroline Siems’s strike from distance was over the top.

Everton edge into third

Everton and Reading shared the points with goals exchanged in a three-minute spell late in the first half.

Simone Magill had nodded the Toffees ahead on 39 minutes, following up Grace Moloney’s save from Nicoline Sorensen.

Jess Fishlock fed Wales teammate Natasha Harding, whose strike from the side of the box flew over keeper Sandy MacIver and into the back of the net.

Everton almost retook the lead at the death but Megan Finnigan’s header from a Claire Emslie free-kick was turned away by Moloney.

Late leveller sees Bristol City draw with Spurs

Tottenham Hotspur's Siri Worm
Siri Worm (right) celebrates scoring soon after conceding a penalty. (PA Images)

A dramatic final few minutes of the basement battle between Bristol City and Tottenham Hotspur ended with scores level at 2-2.

There was a goal apiece before the break in Bristol too, Chloe Logarzo with the opener from a 37th-minute penalty, after Siri Worm brought down Ebony Salmon in the box. Worm soon made up for the foul by bringing Spurs level direct from a free-kick.

After a series of corners, Ashleigh Neville gave Spurs the lead when getting on the end of another set-piece by Worm.

Spurs lost substitute Rianna Dean to a red card for a challenge on Sophie Baggaley with 13 minutes still to play.

Worm hit the underside of the bar with a free-kick but Salmon struck an injury-time leveller to rescue a point.

England’s December date with Norway cancelled due to COVID

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter