#FAWSL: Leading pair share six goals in thriller

Lauren Hemp leveller in top two clash
Lauren Hemp celebrates making it 3-3 for Manchester City against Chelsea. (PA Images)

The top two in the Barclays FA Women’s Super League put on some show and it ended all square with Manchester City drawing 3-3 with Chelsea.

Barclays FA WSL results – 23 February

Everton 2-3 Manchester United (Att: 893)
Manchester City 3-3 Chelsea (Att: 3,542)
Birmingham City 0-1 Bristol City (Att: 659)
Brighton & Hove Albion 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur (Att: 964)
West Ham United 4-2 Liverpool (Att: 1,877)


Arsenal 2-0 Lewes

Clash of title rivals ends 3-3

Manchester City stay top by a point from Chelsea, who still have a game in hand following a remarkable 3-3 draw.

The leaders scored first against title rivals Chelsea through Ellen White but Ji So-yun equalised with a 25-yard effort.

Georgia Stanway restored City’s advantage after an hour when firing inside the near post for the WSL’s 2,000th goal, Magdalena Eriksson soon got the Londoners’ second leveller and although Caroline Weir won the hosts a penalty, Ann-Katrin Berger saved Stanway’s strike.

The drama gathered pace as Beth England buried a long-range shot and 3 minutes later it was 3-3 when Lauren Hemp stabbed home Weir’s cross.

But the game ended with concern for Ellie Roebuck, the City goalkeeper being stretchered off after colliding with the post in added time.

Beth England celebrates scoring Chelsea's third goal
Chelsea’s Bethany England celebrates scoring her side’s third goal with Millie Bright. (PA Images)

Man Utd move forward to fourth

Manchester United went 3-0 up away to Everton before the hosts pulled two goals back in the last quarter of the match.

Leah Galton bagged a brace and Ella Toone got United’s third on the break just after the hour mark

Everton made it a tense finish at their new Walton Hall Park home with a Dan Turner header from a Chloe Kelly corner and Lucy Graham’s cross which flew straight in.

Spurs ascend to sixth

Tottenham Hotspur took the points with a narrow win at Brighton, who had been reduced to ten players on 32 minutes after Lea Le Garrec received two cautions in pretty quick succession.

Spurs put the numerical advantage to use midway through the second half with Rianna Dean netting from the spot after Angela Addison was fouled.

Bristol City off the bottom

Bristol City sealed a crucial 3 points
Photo: Will Cheshire

Bristol City jumped two places off the foot of the table with a crucial three points away to Birmingham City.

The Blues could not make the most of their opportunities with Brianna Visalli and Rachel Williams going closest, while Bristol twice ht the frame of the goal.

But Ebony Salmon came off the bench to give the Robins the only goal in the relegation ‘six-pointer’, 15 minutes from time.

Hammer blow for Liverpool

Liverpool sank to the foot of the table after a heavy defeat at West Ham.

The Hammers struck two goals in as many first-half minutes as Adriana Leon’s opener on 26 minutes was followed moments later by a Martha Thomas goal.

In the second half, Thomas doubled her tally for the afternoon before setting up Leon to complete her brace.

Rachel Furness twice reduced the arrears in the last 19 minutes but it remained a bad day for the Reds.

Gunners go through

Ruby Grant
Arsenal’s Ruby Grant on the attack against Lewes. (PA Images)

Championship side Lewes held Arsenal until after half-time before bowing out of the Women’s FA Cup with a very respectable 2-0 scoreline away to the Gunners.

Arsenal took 54 minutes to make the breakthrough with a Caitlin Foord finish and Danielle van de Donk doubled the lead to confirm a quarter-final clash with Tottenham Hotspur.

#WEURO2021: Lionesses to kick off tournament at Old Trafford

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter