#FAWC: Liverpool Women extend their lead after late winner

Liverpool go seven points clear in FAWC
Photo: Lewis Storey/Getty Images

Liverpool opened up a seven-point lead in the FA Women’s Championship after defeating Watford with a late breakthrough.


Durham 2-3 Crystal Palace (Att; 435)
Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Bristol City
Charlton Athletic 1-0 Lewes
Liverpool 1-0 Watford
London City Lionesses 3-1 Sunderland
Sheffield United 3-1 Coventry United

Liverpool needed a late goal at home to next-to-bottom Watford to secure all three points.

Megan Campbell’s long throw seven minutes from time was headed home by Katie Stengel.

Yana Daniels had a first-half goal for the Reds ruled out for offside, Rhiannon Roberts later forced a diving save from Georgie Ferguson.

London City Lionesses sit second in the league following a 3-1 victory over Sunderland.

Atlanta Primus gave the Lionesses an early lead, Karin Muya making it 2-0 before the break from a Jamie-Lee Napier cross.

Amy Rodgers got the third on the hour and Keira Ramshaw converted a stoppage-time penalty for Sunderland.

Crystal Palace came from behind to win 3-2 at Durham, leapfrogging them on goal-difference as the Wildcats dropped two places to fourth.

Beth Hepple opened the scoring for Durham from an Abby Holmes cutback, before Molly Sharpe equaliserd and Lizzie Waldie turned home a corner at the back post.

Kathryn Hill drew the Wildcats level from another corner but five minutes into the second half, Siobhan Wilson fired home after a cross was not cleared.

Crystal Palace won 3-2 at Durham
Crystal Palace pressured by Durham. (Photo: Colin Lock)

Bristol City are two points off second after a 1-0 win away at Blackburn Rovers.

The only goal came 17 minutes in, as Abi Harrison netted with a half-volley.

Alex Brooks pulled off a fine second-half save from Harrison to keep Rovers in the game.

In added time, Jade Richards flicked on a free-kick and Fran Bentley made a great stop to protect City’s lead.

Charlton Athletic are still just behind the Robins on goal-difference as they also had a narrow victory over Lewes.

Mia Ross scraped the bar for Charlton but for a Lois Heuchan cross, Elise Hughes slotted home in the 33rd minute.

Addicks’ keeper Eartha Cumings got down to keep out an Ini Umotong strike before the interval.

Sheffield United were 3-1 winners over Coventry United as all the goals came in the last 13 minutes.

Georgia Robert got the Blades’ breakthrough after Lucy Watson’s free-kick was parried by Olivia Clark.

Mia Enderby was involved both times as Courtney Sweetman-Kirk scored twice, Mollie Green replying from a free-kick.

Sheffield United Women sign Wales international Georgia Walters

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter