#ContiCup: Leicester City Women pip Man United on pens

Ellie Leek heads Blackburn's winner
Ellie Leek heads home Blackburn Rovers winner against Sheffield United. (Photo: Charlotte Tattersall/Getty Images)

Leicester City were twice pegged back by Manchester United before winning a FA Women’s Continental League Cup shoot-out.

Group A

Blackburn Rovers 1-0 Sheffield United
Sunderland 0-7 Aston Villa

Group B

Everton 1-0 Durham
Manchester United 2-2 Leicester City (3-4 on pens)

Foxes take two points at United

Manchester United had to twice fightback to draw with Leicester City but the Foxes bagged a bonus point in the shoot-out.

Sophie Howard header home a Jemma Purfield corner to give Leicester the lead but Alessia Russo fired home a second-half equaliser from a Leah Galton cutback.

A loose backpass let in Natasha Flint to restore the lead and although Katie Zelem got United back on level terms a second time, she was one of two players to be denied in the shoot-out by Demi Lambourne, as the Foxes profited 4-3 on penalties.

The result put United level on points with leaders Manchester City, Leicester a point behind, all with one game to go.

Leicester City's Demi lambourne
Demi Lambourne saved twice for Leicester City in the shoot-out. (Photo: Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

Everton edge Durham

Everton’s narrow victory over Durham sees them on six points along with Man City and Man United.

Dee Bradley forced a goal-line clearance from the hosts but the Wildcats fell behind in the second half.

Toni Duggan scored her first goal in her second spell with Everton, breaking the deadlock just after the hour mark.

Megan Finnigan headed the ball back across the goal from a corner kick ando the England striker who lashes the ball on the rebound and into the net.

Toni Duggan celebrates her goal for Everton
Toni Duggan of Everton celebrates after scoring with Simone Magill. (Photo: Lewis Storey/Getty Images)

Villa put seven past Sunderland

Aston Villa have renewed hope of making the quarter-finals after a convincing win away to Sunderland.

Laura Brown scored her first senior goal in the first minute, with a looping shot over Claudia Moan after combining with Remi Allen.

Ramona Petzelberger doubled the lead inside ten minutes, when the ball came to her on the edge of the area.

Although Sunderland rallied, they fell three behind when Maz Pacheco’s corner close to half-time was turned in by Allen.

Into the last 20 minutes and Alisha Lehmann guiding home a free header from Chantelle Boye-Hlorkah’s cross, then was played through by Gemma Davison to prod in a fifth goal.

Boye-Hlorkah and Allen then both found the net, the latter with her second off the far post.

Rovers off the mark

Blackburn Rovers had a narrow win over a Sheffield United side who missed the chance to go top of their group in their final game.

The only goal came in the first half, as Chloe Dixon’s cross into was headed in by Ellie Leek at the back post.

Alex Brooks was called upon to make two impressive late saves to protect the lead, denying Courtney Sweetman-Kirk from point-blank range and then tipping wide a powerful effort from Rebecca Rayner.

LONG READ: 100 Years Since the Ban – ‘When Women’s Football in England Challenged the Men’s Game’

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter