Ballynahinch Ladies late comeback edges seven-goal thriller

Ballynahinch Edge Carnmoney
Bob Hall Sports Photography

Ballynahinch Ladies continued their good start to the NIWFA season with a hard fought win over Carnmoney at Ulster University Jordanstown.

Despite all Carnmoney’s dominance, it was Ballynahinch who took a surprise lead with almost a quarter of an hour gone. Aine Smyth floated in a corner which Melissa Hilland, who was unmarked at the back post, tucked home past a helpless Kirsten Morrison in the Carnmoney goal, writes Lauren McCann.

They doubled their lead just two minutes later, with Smyth going from creator to scorer. Carnmoney give away a needless free kick outside the box and Smyth stepped up and blasted a powerful effort towards goal. Morrison got a hand to it, but could only push it into the top corner to give Carnmoney a mountain to climb early o

They pulled a goal back on 36 minutes when Hannah Clarke, baring down on goal, coolly lobbed Black-Cherry to spark a fight back.

Ballynahinch v Carnmoney
Bob Hall Sports Photography

Barely two minutes later they’d drawn level after a superb team goal. Jessica Wright finds Reid on the right and she delivers a teasing cross into the area. Clarke cleverly dummies it for Amy Greer behind her, who latches on to the ball, curling home to make it all square once again.

Carnmoney took the lead for the first time in the game just after the hour mark. Amy Greer found Molly Reid with a sweeping cross field pass and Reid’s sumptuous strike nestled in the far corner to complete a remarkable turnaround.

Ballynahinch weren’t out of the game yet however with Lauren Lewis’ free kick thundering off the crossbar and out, before Amy Greer’s thumping effort rattled the bar at the other end.

Ballynahinch v Carnmoney
Bob Hall Sports Photography

Late drama was to ensue, as Ballynahinch nicked an equaliser with just nine minutes remaining. Carnmoney failed to clear a cross into the area and Smyth was on hand to fire home from close range.

They completed a sensational comeback by scoring a winner on 83 minutes. Chloe Burke broke free and lifted the ball over the onrushing Morrison to seal a smash and grab win, which ensured. Ballynahinch picked up all three points and maintained their 100% record at the top of the Division 3A table.

Carnmoney will have been bitterly disappointed to lose the game in such cruel fashion, as their wait for a first league win continues.

#ElectricIreland Women’s Cup draw made

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter