Townsend stunner wins title ‘six-pointer’

Cardiff Met celebrations. (Photo: Will Cheshire)

The top of the table clash in the Orchard Welsh Premier saw leaders Cardiff Met beat Swansea City with an audacious last-minute free kick, to stretch their advantage to a massive eleven points.

Sunday 28th January
Cardiff Met 2-1 Swansea City
Caernarfon Town 1-8 Cardiff City FC
Llandudno 1-4 Abergavenny
Port Talbot Town 1-2 Cyncoed
Rhyl 3-3 Caldicot Town

Townsend on target for Archers 

It is now nine straight wins for Cardiff Met, as the Archers stay right on course for the WPWL title, with the Swans only having one game in hand to make up the large gap.

But Met had to come from behind as City went ahead 7 minutes into the second half from a half-volleyed effort by Stacey John-Davis.

On 69 minutes the students equalised with a Lauren Townsend free-kick and in the final minute she repeated the trick but in off the bar from all of 35 yards for a dramatic finish.

Click here for the full match video

Davies double sets up Abergavenny victory

Abergavenny went level on points with Swansea after a 4-1 victory at Llandudno but they also had to fight back for the win.

The hosts took the lead on the stroke of half-time but Lauren Boyd replied from a corner.

Two goals from Lyndsey Davies had the hosts in control and Kate Jeremiah slotted home their fourth.

An official first? The match at Llandudno saw husband and wife as assistant referees. (Photo: Will Cheshire)

Bluebirds’ Evans bags six

Cardiff City FC Women are also on a par with the reigning champions but from two game more, following a big 8-1 win at Caernarfon Town.

The first 45 was all about the Bluebirds’ Shannon Evans, who scored all five goals.

Evans went on to complete a double hat-trick, with Alana Murphy netting the other pair for the visitors.

Early goals see Cyncoed home

Cyncoed are also very much in the battle for the runners-up spot having won 2-1 at Port Talbot Town.

Port Talbot defender Carys Davies conceded an own-goal following pressure by the Cyncoed attack and Julie Moulton doubled the advantage from a 14th-minute penalty.

The hosts halved the deficit in the second period with Rachel Ball’s looping header from a Victoria Stratton corner.

Rhyl rue missed chances

Rhyl were held 3-3 at home by bottom of the table Caldicot Town but the point saw them match Port Talbot’s current tally.

All the goals came in the first half, with Laura Williams twice putting Rhyl ahead only for Kelly Phelps and then Shauna Pentney to quickly level.

Carys Waters had Caldicot in front for the first time only for the same player to then concede an own goal on 39 minutes.

Rhyl pressed hard for a winner after the interval but could not find the net a fourth time.

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter