Plymouth Argyle Ladies Pull Off Another Cup Shock

Plymouth celebrate another giant-killing. (Photo: @ArgyleLFC)

Plymouth Argyle beat a top-flight FAWPL side for the fourth time this season, while last regional league survivors Burnley bowed out with a narrow defeat at Cardiff City Ladies.

Sunday 7th January 

Cardiff City LFC 3-2 Burnley
Fylde 1-3 Plymouth Argyle (Att: 58)
Keynsham Town 8-1 Brislington (Att: 70)
Huddersfield Town 1-2 Lewes (Att: 96)
Leicester City Women 2-1 Bradford City (Att: 78)
Newcastle United 1-2 The New Saints (Att: 153)
Blackburn Rovers 7-0 Portsmouth
Derby County P-P Brighouse Town (now 14 Jan)
Ipswich Town 2-5(aet) Charlton Athletic (Att: 110)
Crystal Palace 1-1(aet) Coventry United (Coventry won 3-2 on pens)
Middlesbrough 4-3(aet) Liverpool Marshalls Feds
Chichester City 2-0 Luton Town (Att: 100)

Plymouth took only 4 minutes to score at Fylde,  as Amber Pollock picked up clearance and played in Tash Knapman to net. Fylde were soon level when Argyle failed to clear a corner and Laura Merrin scored. From a Knapman cross Pollock buried the second and when Becky Atkins’ shot was deflected, Knapman made it 3-1. Katie Middleton put a Pilgrims’ penalty over the bar after the break but her side had done enough.

Cori Williams chipped Cardiff into an early lead and from a Ffion Price free kick after the interval, Ella Powell bundled in the second. Evie Priestley pulled one back and Sarah Greenhalgh fired the equaliser into the top corner. But when Burnley failed to clear an 85th-minute free kick, Williams struck the decider.

Coventry United won on penalties despite serious injury

Three ties went to extra-time and one of those to penalties, with Coventry United defeating Crystal Palace in a shoot-out. Helen Dermody converted a penalty on 10 minutes for United but with Keeley Davies sustaining a serious injury on 40 minutes, the game was held up for some time. Palace were level on 63 minutes, Nikita Whinnett crashing in an angled volley off the underside of the crossbar. With no further goals, Coventry eventually progressed on penalties.

Ipswich Town held Southern leaders Charlton Athletic 2-2 in normal time before bowing out 5-2. Cassie Craddock hit a double for the Tractor Girls, including the opener from 25 yards but Kit Graham and Charlotte Lee both bagged a brace for the Addicks and Sam Pittuck their other goal.

Dramatic late win for Middlesbrough. (Photo: @MWomenFC)

Liverpool Marshalls Feds pushed Northern top team Middlesbrough all they but eventually lost 4-3. Boro fell 2-0 behind to a Sasha Rowe spot-kick and Laura Bartup effort before Bianca Owens and Emily Scarr brought them level. Feds went in front again on 83 minutes through Bartup, only for Jess Havelock to make it 3-3 deep into added time. Scarr then grabbed the winner 4 minutes short of penalties.

Leicester City Women, Lewes and TNS all went through with narrow 2-1 scorelines.

Photo: @LewesFCWomen

Lewes won at Huddersfield Town with a late Kate McIntyre strike from outside the area. Rebecca Carter had earlier followed up an Avilla Bergin penalty to score, before Brittany Sanderson brought the Terriers level on 61 minutes.

Leicester accounted for Bradford City with a last-minute Leigh Dugmore decider. They had only levelled 10 minutes from time through a Rosie Axten penalty, the Bantams having led for most of the game with an Ellie White spot-kick.

The New Saints reached the 4th Round for the first time. (Photo:

TNS came through 2-1 at Newcastle United thanks to Emily Ridge, who rounded the keeper to score on 76 minutes. Kim Bebbinbgton’s half-volley had the Saints ahead, with the Magpies drawing level just before the hour mark with a Steph Ord header.

Chichester’s Lauren Cheshire & Jess McKay of Luton (Photo:

Chichester City were 2-0 winners over Luton Town but had to wait until the final 4 minutes to get the goals. Alex Collinghan struck first and Cherelle Khassal made sure with the second.

There were two seven-goal margins of victory at Blackburn Rovers thrashed Portsmouth and Keynsham Town crushed Brislington 8-1.

Kaylea Cunliffe broke the deadlock for Blackburn, with Natasha Flint and Lagan Makin adding one each by half-time. Makin doubled her tally after the interval and Flint finished with four following a second-half hat-trick.

Kerry Bartlett got four goals for Keynsham, Christina Vega Leandro, Katie Cook and Justine Lorton-Radburn one apiece, plus an own-goal.

The WSL sides go into the hat for the fourth round draw, which will be made around 1.20pm on Monday.