Man City Women Break Birmingham Hearts

Penalty precision from Issy Christiansen (Paul Currie for FA)

Chelsea made it four wins in a row by thrashing Yeovil Town, Manchester City kept pace with them when eventually overcoming ten-player Birmingham City.

Sunday 29th October 


Chelsea 6-0 Yeovil Town (Att: 1,821)
Everton 0-2 Arsenal (Att: 435)
Manchester City 3-1 Birmingham City


Doncaster Rovers Belles 6-0 Aston Villa (Att: 552)
Oxford United 2-2 Brighton & Hove Albion (Att: 204)
Sheffield FC 0-4 Durham (Att: 339)
Watford 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur (Att: 579)

Chelsea roll another six

Emma Hayes’ side scored six goals for the third time in four matches and also kept an unblemished record at the back in staying top.

Crystal Dunn gave Chelsea an 8th-minute lead with a tap in and Eniola Aluko doubled the advantage on 20 minutes following a clever Erin Cuthbert pass.

Karen Carney headed in the third from Dunn’s cross, with the American then scoring herself for a second time, following up when Ji So-Yun’s effort was blocked.

Carney found the net from 22 yards to double her tally and then set up Aluko for her second from a set-piece.

Christiansen penalty double rescues Man City

Manchester City took until the last 15 minutes to break down Birmingham City, coming from behind to maintain their 100% record.

The hosts paid the price for over-playing the ball around their own box, as goalkeeper Ellie Roebuck was closed down by Rachel Williams and Steph Houghton’s attempted clearance under pressure only went as far as Lucy Quinn, who curled in a fine effort.

Birmingham ‘keeper, Ann-Katrin Berger only had a Keira Walsh strike to really challenge her before the break.

Nikita Parris won a 75th-minute penalty when brought down by Paige Williams and Issy Christiansen buried the spot-kick with power.

Moments later and the visitors had Kerys Harrop sent off for kicking out after being caught by Georgia Stanway.

Berger stayed on after lengthy treatment but she was beaten in stoppage-time, Megan Campbell’s long throw met with a looping header from Jen Beattie.

Christiansen smacked in a second penalty with the last kick, Berger getting away with a yellow card for taking down Stanway.

Gunners go fourth

Vivianne Miedema and Beth Mead got the goals as Arsenal bounced back from the departure of their manager this week by winning at Everton and rising to fourth in WSL 1.

Miedema fired the Gunners ahead midway through the first half, with a powerful shot going in off the crossbar.

Jordan Nobbs was close to a second with a 20-yard free-kick but Lizzie Durack made a diving save.

Claudia Walker forced a smart stop from Sari van Veenendaal but when Everton did get the ball in the net, it was ruled out for a foul on the ‘keeper.

Miedema’s volley was tipped over by Durack, while Olivia Chance worked the Gunners’ custodian at the other end.

Beth Mead made it 2-0 with 13 minutes remaining, taking down a clearance on the wing and returning it over Durack, who could not quite keep it out.

Wildcats’ first away win since February

Zoe Ness heads for Durham (Sue Gutteridge)

Durham are second in WSL 2 after securing a rare victory on the road by netting four second-half goals at Sheffield FC.

Despite Durham hitting the woodwork three times at Sheffield FC, it was 47 minutes before Nicola Worthington broke the deadlock for the visitors.

It was soon 2-0 as Rachel Lee’s through ball was slotted home by Abi Cottam, Lee then side-footing in from a Kathryn Hill centre.

Zoe Ness squared to give Jordan Atkinson a simple tap in 10 minutes from the end.

Half-dozen for Doncaster

Emma Coates’ last game in charge of Doncaster Rovers Belles saw them go third on goal-difference with a 6-0 win over Aston Villa, who slipped to the bottom of the table.

The Belles were two up over Aston Villa in only 14 minutes, as Kirsty Hanson’s opener was added to by a Rebecca Rayner free-kick.

Rayner also hit the post before half time but 5 minutes after the restart, Christie Murray’s delivery was nodded in by Leandra Little.

Hanson went on a run before slotting home via an upright and Jess Sigsworth then added a quick brace in the final few minutes.


Watford off the mark

Watford’s Charlotte Kerr battles for the ball (Andrew Waller Images)

Watford gained their first point of the season in an end to end home draw with Spurs, watched by a crowd of nearly 600 at Kings Langley FC.

Wendy Martin hit the post for Tottenham early in the game and when Rinsola Babajide won a 17th-minute penalty for Watford, the post again intervened.

Danielle Puddefoot sent a superb effort from 30 yards against the top of the Tottenham bar but the Hornets were ahead on 54, Adekite Fatuga-Dada volleying in Bianca Bragg’s cross.

However, just after the hour mark, Jenna Schillaci’s free-kick reached Lucia Leon whose back-flick found the net.

Fran Kitching tipped Sarah Wiltshire’s free-kick on to the bar before Watford defender Kylie McCarthy struck her own post, as Spurs went very close to a late winner.

Perry pair picks up points for Brighton 

Sophie Perry scored in either half as Brighton let their lead slip against Oxford, who then failed to hold onto their own advantage.

Taome Oliver hit the post for Oxford in the first half but Perry opened the scoring in Brighton’s favour on 56 minutes.

United were soon level as Ellis Hillman slotted the ball through to Chloe Chivers to finish and on 71 minutes Ella Franklin-Fraiture whipped in a cross which Oliver buried.

Brighton were back on level terms with 5 minutes to go. Perry curling a free kick over Demi Lambourne and in.

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter