#FAWC: Spurs Ladies battle back to remain on course for runners-up spot

Tottenham’s two-goal hero Ashleigh Neville. (Photo: @Thlfcofficial)

Tottenham Hotspur recovered from going two down at Charlton Athletic to win 3-2 and stay four points ahead of Durham in the race for second place in the FA Women’s Championship.

FAWC results for 21 April

Durham 1-0 Millwall Lionesses
Charlton Athletic 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur
Aston Villa 2-2 Lewes

Neville nets two for Tottenham

Tottenham Hotspur remained favourites for the runners-up spot after fighting back to win 3-2 at Charlton Athletic with a headed brcae by Ashleigh Neville.

Tottenham keeper Chloe Morgan tipped a Charlie Clifford round the post but couldn’t keep out a Liz Ejupi effort on 39 minutes.

Kit Graham got Charlton’s second from the edge of the box straight after the interval but tha only served to spark a Spurs’ fightback.

Angela Addison came off the bench and won a penalty which Rhianna Dean converted, Neville then not only headed in a Jenna Schillaci corner to level but did so again 10 minutes from the end.

The result finished the Addicks’ own hopes of a top-two place but Tottenham can secure second spot with victory at Aston Villa on 1st May.

Crucial win for Wildcats 

Durham gained an important three points in their pursuit of promotion, as Emily Roberts’ 69th-minute effort gave them victory over lowly Millwall Lionesses.

Roberts’ powerful strike for Durham was parried by Rhiannon Stewart, Zoe Ness put a good opportunity wide for the Wildcats, Abby Holmes also going close in the first half with a header.

Roberts made the breakthrough when curling home from the edge of the box and Ness might have given the Wildcats a two-goal cushion but Stewart made a point-blank range stop.

Lewes hold Villa with late leveller

New Zealand international Katie Rood netted late in either half to earn Lewes a point from a 2-2 tie at Aston Villa.

Seventeen year-old Asmita Ale poked home from a free-kick early on for her first senior goal for Villa.

Jodie Hutton rifled in from outside the box to double the home side’s lead but it was to prove insufficient to defeat their visitors from Sussex.

Lewes pulled one back on the stroke of half-time through Katie Rood and the New Zealand international struck again in second-half stoppage time.

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter