#FAWC: Durham end Aston Villa Women’s winning run

Durham were the first to deny Aston Villa a win
Ellie Christon made a goal-line clearance to ensure Durham a point at Aston Villa. (Photo: The FA via Getty Images)

Durham ended Aston Villa’s perfect FA Women’s Championship form and London City Lionesses jumped up two places to second.

FAWC Results –  Sunday 27 October

Aston Villa 1-1 Durham (Att: 427)
Blackburn Rovers 2-2 Coventry United (Att: 966)
London Bees 2-3 Crystal Palace
London City Lionesses 3-0 Lewes
Sheffield United 2-2 Charlton Athletic (Att: 423)

Durham first to deny Villa victory

Aston Villa’s 100% record was ended by Durham in a 1-1 draw but the visitors slipped from second to fourth,

The Wildcats took only 8 minutes to strike as Iris Achterhof’s cross was turned in by Nicki Gears.

Nadine Hanssen headed home the equaliser for the leaders from an Emma Follis corner on 56 minutes.

The hosts thought they had scored a second but Ellie Christon was adjudged to have cleared Melissa Johnson’s shot before it crossed the line.

Lionesses go second

Lionesses skipper Ellie Mason sent her side on the way to victory with the opening goal against Lewes.

Two goals in the last 10 minutes secured the win, Elizabeta Ejupi netting after Leanne Cowan’s set-piece and Hannah Short completing scoring.

Coventry deny Rovers Ewood win

A late Coventry United equaliser denied Blackburn Rovers victory in front of almost 1,000 at Ewood Park.

Amber Hughes had put the visitors in front but Saffron Jordan levelled before the break and struck again after the restart.

However, substitute Shannon O’Brien got on the end of a corner kick to earn Coventry a point.

Heartbreak for Bees

London Bees retrieved a two-goal deficit only to concede a last-minute winner against Crystal Palace.

Ella Rutherford’s first-half goal was added to by Bianca Baptiste to double the Eagles lead.

Nikita Whinnett and a fine Merrick Will half-volley wiped out the lead, only for Rutherford to score her second of the match right at the death.

Addicks blunt Blades

Sheffield United had to settle for a 2-2 draw at home to basement side Charlton Athletic after trailing at the midway point.

The Blades had begun sharply though as Katie Wilkinson got the last touch on a Jade Pennock effort for the opener after 4 minutes.

Charlton equalised when a ball over the top was taken down and fired home by Ellie Dorey, Charlie Devlin then rounding the keeper to put the Addicks ahead on half-time.

Olivia Fergusson got on the end of Sophie Barker’s cross to level inside the last 15 minutes.

#FAWC: Blackburn Rovers Ladies off the mark with shock win

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter