Swans fightback to beat Bluebirds in FAW Women’s Cup Final

Swansea City with the FAW Women’s Cup. (Photo: Will Cheshire Photography)

Swansea City came from behind to win the FA of Wales Women’s Cup at Cardiff City Stadium, Barry Town United earlier lifted the U-16 Girls’ Cup.

The Swans threatened as Jodie Passmore’s free kick forced a save from Ceryn Chamberlain and Siobhan Walsh blocked a close range effort.

But it was Cardiff City FC Women who went ahead on 54 minutes, Shannon Evans’ pass finding Alana Murphy who finished well.

Ten minutes later and Swansea were back on level terms, as they won a penalty which Passmore put away.

The winner came 18 minutes from time, Katy Hosford with a lofted effort from out wide which beat Chamberlain on her near post.

Attendance: 476

Barry Town United won the FAW U-16 Girls’ Cup with a 2-0 victory over Villa Dino Christchurch at Leckwith Stadium.

Barry Town United with the FAW Girls’ U-16 Cup. (Photo: Will Cheshire Photography)

Barry took only 6 minutes to get the first goal in the clash of the South Wales League title rivals, Sian Rees successfully lobbing Villa Dino Christchurch goalkeeper Zara Mujica.

Rees then struck again on 34 minutes to double the lead, with Villa unable to find a way back into the game despite their best efforts.

Cardiff Met one win from Welsh Premier title

Meanwhile, in the Orchard Welsh Women’s Premier League, Cardiff Met thrashed Caernarfon Town 12-0 to close in on the championship. Jasmine Simpson hit a 10-minute hat-trick, Kitty Wells and Stacey Ayling contributed two apiece, with singles from Lucy Brown, Lauren Townsend, Steph Turner, Naomi Clipston and Tija Richardson.

Caldicot Town were consigned to a bottom-two finish with a 3-1 home loss to Cyncoed, who themselves climb into third place. Grace Thomas got two of the visitors’ goals, Kirstie Pervin-Davies the other and Cyncoed are back in action again this Wednesday, away at Abergavenny.

Port Talbot Town put five past Rhyl after being two up in 17 minutes, as Laura-May Walkley scored before setting up Coryn Sexton for the second. A through ball by Courteney Thomas led to another for Walkley but when she was brought down in the box, Terri Beddows’ penalty was superbly saved by Sam Mitchell. After the break, Thomas reacted quickest to a blocked shot on the edge of the box and made it 4-0, with Beddows then burying a late back post header from a Vickie Stratton corner.

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter