Rovers Ladies Edge Potters On Penalties

The Premier League Cup ties featured a penalties victory for Blackburn, two stoppage-time goals at Charlton and some swift revenge for Lewes.

Sunday 15th October
Charlton Athletic 3-2 AFC Wimbledon (Att: 50)
Crystal Palace 1-2 Lewes (Att: 152)
Enfield Town 0-2 Cambridge United (Att: 43)
Nottingham Forest 5-0 West Bromwich Albion (Att: 124)
Sheffield United 1-2 Liverpool Marshalls Feds (Att: 53)
Southampton WFC 1-3 Portsmouth (Att: 84)
Stoke City 2-2 (aet) Blackburn Rovers (Blackburn won 4-3 on pens) (Att: 130)

Norwich City 5-0 Haringey Borough

Addicks down Dons at the death

AFC Wimbledon all but took higher division Charlton Athletic to extra-time with a late leveller, only for Charlotte Gurr to immediately reply in a 3-2 win for the Addicks.

Rebecca Sargent headed the Dons in front after only 5 minutes but Charlotte Lee levelled by the break.

With just over an hour played, Lee scored again but when Hope Nash won a penalty for Charlton, Gurr’s effort was saved by Shanell Salgado.

Five minutes into added time and Kate Stanley curled a shot into the far corner but there was still time for Gurr to grab the winner with a thumping header.

Revenge of the Rookettes

Lewes avenged their 3-0 midweek league loss at Crystal Palace by going back to knock them out of the cup.

Amy Taylor fired the visitors ahead via the post and on 33 minutes. Avilla Bergin slid home a low cross to double the lead.

Gemma Bryan pulled one back for Palace with over half an hour left but the Eagles could not find an equaliser.

Pompey victorious in South Coast derby

(Photo: @pompeyfcladies)

Southampton WFC, unbeaten since entering the FA WPL this season, went down 3-1 at home to Southern Division Portsmouth.

Gemma Hillier struck from the edge of the area for Pompey and the visitors were well on course when Nadine Bazan picked out Shannon Albuery in the box to net their second.

Four minutes after the restart and Nat Bavister’s ball was powered home by Jane Yeates to give the hosts hope and Portsmouth were indebted to Charley Boswell’s clearance off the line, otherwise the scores would have been levelled.

But on 63 minutes, Tash Stephens poke home a corner to the far post and restored the two-goal cushion.

Hill is Rovers’ shoot-out hero

Stoke City’s tie with Blackburn Rovers went to extra-time, having finished 2-2 at the end of normal time. With no addition to the score, a shoot-out was required and Blackburn eventually progressed on sudden-death penalties.

It was drama from the off, as Kate Asher scored for the Potters after a mere 34 seconds and Rovers later lost Faye McCoy, who had had lengthy treatment  to a head injury.

Natalie Fenton hit the bar for Blackburn, before Saffron Jordan was fouled in the box and Lynda Shepherd just got the 57th-minute spot-kick past the keeper.

Ten minutes after and there was another spot-kick at the other end which Emily Owen netted but Alex Taylor turned home Shepherd’s low cross to make it 2-2 on 79 minutes.

The shoot-out hero turned out to be Rovers’ keeper Danielle Hill, who saved three penalties and also converted one.

Pictured top – Danielle Hill (@RoversLadies)

Five for Forest

Nottingham Forest ran out 5-0 winners over West Brom, the second time they have put that many goals past the Baggies this season.

Niki Emery opened the scoring and Summer Holmes sent Natasha Hudson away to make it 2-0 before half-time.

Trina Greaves added the third, Eleanor Abercrombie’s free-kick saw Sammy Conroy hit in the rebound and Emery rounded off the scoring with her second.

Feds blunt Blades

Liverpool Feds came from behind to win 2-1 at Sheffield United with a late decider.

A misunderstanding between the defence and keeper saw Feds concede an own-goal in the 3rd minute.

It was midway through the second half that Laura Bartup finished off a good move to level for Liverpool.

And 3 minutes from time, Bartup completed her brace and Feds’ victory.

Blanchflower brace sees U’s progress

Cambridge United came through 2-0 at Enfield Town, who had a player sent-off in the latter stages.

The away side had an early goal ruled out but then Kelley Blanchflower and Lauren Cartwright combined for Laura Baker to shoot over the keeper and in for the U’s opening goal.

Chloe Crook got down well to make a save and protect United’s advantage, before Amber Cantwell sent Blanchflower through on goal to score at the second attempt, with Enfield’s Emma Thomas seeing red in the 89th minute.

Canaries fly through

In the sole Plate fixture, Norwich City accounted for Haringey Borough by five goals to nil.

Tash Snelling was first on target after 13 minutes and Charlotte Broad struck on the half-hour.

Aimee Durrant headed in at the far post and then netted another from distance, with a first-time strike from Laura Thacker completing the scoring in the 94th minute.

The remaining Cup and Plate 1st Round ties are to be played over the next two Sundays, due to County Cup commitments.

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter