#FAWSL: Arsenal Women make it six straight wins

Jordan Nobbs celebrates scoring Arsenal’s opener at Bristol City. (Photo: Kieran McManus for The FA)

Arsenal made it six straight wins, Chelsea and West Ham United recorded their second victories, Brighton & Hove Albion their first in the top tier.

FA WSL results for Sunday 28 October

Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool (Att: 1,528)
Brighton & Hove Albion 2-1 Yeovil Town (Att: 562)
Everton 1-2 West Ham United
Bristol City 0-4 Arsenal (Att: 658)

Gunners go clear at the top

Arsenal went four points clear of Manchester City at the top of the table by beating hosts Bristol City 4-0.

Leah Williamson helped Vivianne Miedema force a save from Sophie Baggaley, before on 12 minutes crossing for Jordan Nobbs to score at the far post.

Nobbs then turned provider approaching the interval, Miedema tucking the ball into far corner and  the favour was almost returned after the restart but Nobbs could not direct her header on target.

Nobbs and Miedema threatened again but Baggaley saved from the former and the latter’s effort on the followup was turned over the crossbar.

Miedema added her second of the afternoon, as she rose highest at the far post to head in Danielle van de Donk’s cross.

Van de Donk then got on the score-sheet herself, when reacting first to the ball dropping inside the six-yard box.

Eriksson’s acrobatics bring Chelsea victory

Magda Eriksson scored a special goal to give Chelsea a narrow win over Liverpool, whom they leapfrogged into fourth place.

Both Drew Spence and Erin Cuthbert were denied by goal-line clearances from Sophie Bradley-Auckland before Chelsea managed their third goal of a frustrating start to the league season.

It ironically came from a defender – and in some style too – as Ericsson teed herself up from a corner to net with an overhead kick.

Millie Bright made an important tackle to block Liverpool’s Jess Clarke and Rinsola Babajide’s shot was gathered at the second attempt by Carly Telford.

Clarke got behind the Blues’ defence early in the second half but she shot straight at the keeper.

Beth England might have scored twice but put a free header over the top and later slid in to meet Jonna Andersson’s cross at the far post but got underneath it.

Chelsea substitute Maria Thorisdottir and the Reds’ Jasmine Matthews were both taken off after a bad clash of heads in the last 10 minutes.

West Ham overcome early deficit to win at Everton

Jane Ross brought West Ham level at Everton. (Photo: Kunjan Malde for The FA)

West Ham United were soon behind against Everton at Southport FC but had turned the game around by half time on their way to a 2-1 result.

The hosts were in front after just 5 minutes, Chloe Kelly finding Siri Worm who crossed for Claudia Walker to finish.

Everton’s Megan Finnigan saw her 30-yard drive tipped wide by Becky Spencer but 2 minutes later West Ham levelled, Jane Ross netting from close range after initially hitting the bar.

The Hammers went in ahead at the interval after Alisha Lehmann drove at goal and fired low past Kirstie Levell into the net.

Inessa Kaagman had an effort ruled out for the hosts, who then conceded a penalty for Finnegan’s foul on Brianna Visalli but Levell saved the spot-kick from Ross, as well as her rebound.

The woodwork twice saved the Toffees as Visalli struck the bar and from the rebound Esmee de Graaf hit the post.

Everton might have drawn level from Kelly’s whipped cross but neither Kaagman nor substitute Dan Turner could get on the end of it.

Brighton claim first win 

Jodie Brett scored Brighton’s first goal of the day. (Photo: Kate Green for The FA)

Brighton & Hove Albion’s two first-half goals were enough to defeat Yeovil Town, who later reduced the arrears from the spot.

Brighton hit Yeovil on the break in the 13th minute as Jodie Brett capitalised on some poor defending to open the scoring.

Amber Gaylor fired just over the bar for the Glovers, before Megan Welsh did well to deny Albion’s Kayleigh Green with her legs.

However, Brighton did double their advantage just after the half hour, Victoria Williams hammering home when a corner was not dealt with.

The visitors were back in it after winning a penalty on 69 minutes, which Ellie Mason netted at the second attempt.

Yeovil’s Nicola Cousins was denied by an excellent Marie Hourihan save, while at the other end Walsh did well to tip Ini Umotong’s effort over the bar.

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter