#FAWC : Tottenham Ladies back on top

Jessica Naz nets the opener for Spurs. (Photo: @ThlfcOfficial)

Tottenham Hotspur regained the FA WC leadership with a 3-0 win over Lewes, as Charlton Athletic’s match Manchester United was abandoned and Durham had to settle for a point against Aston Villa.

FA Women’s Championship results for 13 Jan

Durham 2-2 Aston Villa (Att: 454)
Tottenham Hotspur 3-0 Lewes
Charlton Athletic A-A Manchester United (match abandoned)
Leicester City WFC 3-2 Millwall Lionesses (Att: 286)
London Bees 2-1 Crystal Palace (Att: 183)

Spurs spring back into first place 

Spurs put three goals past Lewes for the second time this season, as they replaced Manchester United as leaders.

Jessica Naz’s strike on the half-hour mark from the edge of the box finds the bottom corner of the visitors’ net.

Rianna Dean was denied on the goal-line by Charley Boswell but 7 minutes into the second half Dean ran through and slid her shot under Faye Baker.

On the hour it was 3-0 when Jenna Schillaci’s deflected cross was judged to have crossed the line before Baker could clear.

Match abandoned after 11 minutes 

Charlton Athletic’s match with Manchester United was abandoned early on by the referee, following a serious injury and a prolonged stoppage.

Charlie Devlin beat the offside trap to head past Katie Startup and put Man United one up on 11 minutes but Charlton’s Charlotte Kerr was seriously injured in a collision.

The Addicks women’s website stated: ‘Charlotte Kerr was transferred to a local hospital by ambulance and her condition has improved. The club will not know the full extent of the injury until a full scan has been completed.’

Alex Greenwood and Katie Zelem of Manchester United sandwich Lily Agg of Charlton Athletic. (Photo: Ian Walton for The FA)

Durham held by Villa 

Aston Villa dented Durham promotion hopes when holding the Wildcats to a 2-2 draw, the second time this season the Villains have denied them victory.

Lisa Roberston nipped in to collect a stray back pass and open the scoring for Durham on 22 minutes but the hosts would be behind by the break.

Jodie Hutton won the ball off a defender before driving it home from outside the box and a half-volley by Kerri Welsh then had the Villains in front.

Durham rescued a point  with 15 minutes left, Sarah Wilson heading a corner across goal and Becky Salicki bundling it over the line.

Leicester edge Lionesses 

Leicester City held off a Millwall fightback to take the points by the odd goal in five in a game that included three penalties and one red card.

City’s Ella Franklin-Fraiture hit the bar on just 35 seconds, with Melissa Johnson scoring in the second minute.

Michelle Young had an effort for Millwall disallowed and Chloe Sansom saved a Johnson spot kick before Evie Clarke levelled for the Lionesses.

Libby Smith restored the home side’s advantage when successful from the spot and Ella Franklin-Fraiture gave them a two-goal cushion from 20 yards early in the second half.

Clarke netted her second of the day on 76 minutes after a foul in the box but the visitors lost Lia Cataldo through injury with all subs used and then had Freya Bailes sent off.

Pickett plucks points from Palace

Lauren Pickett hit a first-half winner as mid-table London Bees beat tenth-placed Crystal Palace 2-1.

Katie Wilkinson swivelled to fire the Bees in front 6 minutes in but Andrea Georgiou equalised with a close-range finish.

The decisive moment came when Lauren Pickett lobbed Palace’s new loanee Lucy Gillett, although Ashlee Hinks hit the Bees crossbar and Sarah Quantrill had to save a last-minute strike from Nikita Whinnett.

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter