#FAWC: Seven-goal Durham seal runners-up spot

Durham finish runners-up
Photo: Ashleigh Davies / SPP / Sports Press Photo

The final day of FA Women’s Championship season saw Durham seal second place with seven goals against Coventry United.

Blackburn Rovers 1-2 Sheffield United
Crystal Palace 2-1 Lewes
Durham 7-1 Coventry United
Leicester City 4-0 Charlton Athletic
Liverpool 2-2 London City Lionesses

Durham seal second spot

The game was only eight minutes old when the third goal was scored, Destiney Toussaint replying to efforts from Kathryn Hill and Molly Sharpe.

Beth Hepple’s brace made it 4-1 at half time, with Bridget Galloway, Ali Johnson and Abby Holmes adding second-half goals.

Lionesses fight back to draw at Liverpool 

Liverpool were denied a final-day win by London City Lionesses’ fightback but the point meant they finished third in the table.

Becky Jane gave the Reds the advantage just before half-time and Amy Rodgers doubled the lead.

But Harley Bennett got the visitors back in the game and Lily Agg levelled in the final ten minutes.

Promoted Foxes finish in style

Leicester City lift FAWC trophy
Leicester City are presented the trophy. (Photo: Joe Giddens / Imago)

Champions Leicester City received their trophy at the King Power Stadium, where they put four goals past Charlton.

Natasha Flint got the opener and Hannah Cain struck twice by the interval, with Shanna Vassell conceding a late own-goal.

Blades beat Blackburn

Sheffield United took the points 2-1 at Blackburn Rovers with Jade Pennock’s stoppage time goal but still had to settle for fourth place.

Blades’ keeper Fran Kitching saved an Elise Hughes penalty in the first minute before Katie Wilkinson put the visitors in front.

Aimee Hodgson fired Rovers level via the bar but Maddy Cusack’s corner at the death was headed home by Pennock.

Palace take seventh place

Crystal Palace took seventh place from local rivals Charlton Athletic, having seen off Lewes 2-1.

Amber Gaylor drilled home to put the Eagles one up, Danielle Lane levelled shortly after the interval for the Rooks.

With four minutes left, Lewes failed to clear a corner and Lizzie Waldie netted Palace’s winner.

#UWCL: Chelsea Women win through to final for first time

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter