Barclays #FAWSL: Arsenal Women get late leveller at Man City

Kadija Shaw opened the scoring for Man City v Arsenal
Manchester City’s Khadija Shaw opened the scoring against Arsenal. (Photo: Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

Manchester City were denied victory in added time by Barclays FA Women’s Super League leaders Arsenal, while Chelsea were held at Brighton.

Manchester United 3-0 Tottenham Hotspur
Brighton & Hove Albion 0-0 Chelsea (Att: 1,743)
Leicester City 1-2 Aston Villa
Reading 3-2 Birmingham City
West Ham United 3-0 Everton
Manchester City 1-1 Arsenal

Heath rescues point for Arsenal

Arsenal are two points clear at the top of the league after a 1-1 draw at Manchester City.

There was little threat on either goal in the first half but after the break City keeper Khiara Keating had to deal with a powerful  Beth Mead strike and also gather a deflected ball at the second attempt with Vivianne Miedema set to pounce.

Jess Park forced a save from Manuela Zinsberger and on 65 minutes Lauren Hemp crossed for Kadija Shaw to open the scoring for the hosts.

Zinsberger made a crucial block to deny Hemp and needed two attempts to gather a Caroline Weir drive.

Two minutes into the added six, Tobin Heath fired home the Gunners’ equaliser.

Man United beat Spurs to go second

Leah Galton scores Man Utd's third v Spurs
Manchester United’s Leah Galton puts them 3-0 up against Spurs. (Photo: Lewis Storey/Getty Images)

Manchester United ran out 3-0 winners in the meeting with fourth-in-the-table Tottenham to move up to second place.

Spurs’ Jessica Naz missed a great chance to turn home a Rachel Williams cross, before the hosts struck twice before the break.

Vilde Bøe Risa was allowed space to find the net via a Katie Zelem corner, then Hayley Ladd headed home from Ella Toone’s cross.

It was 3-0 soon after the hour mark, Martha Thomas came off the bench to set up Leah Galton for a tap-in.

Brighton frustrate Chelsea 

Brighton hold Chelsea to goalless draw
Fran Kirby of Chelsea battles for possession with Brighton’s Emma Kullberg. (Photo: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)

Chelsea dropped points in the title race when held to a goalless draw at Brighton, which saw them slip to third spot.

A powerful strike from Brighton’s Danielle Carter forced Ann-Katrin Berger into a tip over the bar, Guro Reiten later twice going close for Chelsea with one effort prodded wide and another blocked.

Fran Kirby got clean through on goal but could not beat keeper Megan Walsh, while after the break it was the head of Victoria Williams that denied the Chelsea forward.

Erin Cuthbert missed a great chance for the visitors, later rattling the crossbar with a powerful strike.

Berger denied Carter on the near post and was almost beaten by a late long-range effort from the same player.

Walsh kept a free Beth England header out with her feet, as her side went on to earn a point against Chelsea.

Villa get late winner at Leicester 

Aston Villa put more space between themselves and the bottom two with a late decider away at Leicester City.

Villa took an early lead when Jemma Purfield conceded an own-goal from a corner.

Another own-goal brought Leicester level with 13 minutes left, Purfield delivered a corner and Hannah Hampton could only help it into the net

However, Villa won it in stoppage-time when the ball fell for Alisha Lehmann in the penalty box.

Royals come from two goals behind to win

Reading recovered from going two goals behind at home to basement side Birmingham City, and losing their keeper, to win 3-2.

Lucy Quinn delivered for Gemma Lawley to head the visitors in front in only the third minute and the advantage was doubled before half-time.

Libby Smith played the ball through for Jade Pennock to find the net but she also injured Grace Moloney in the process, the Reading keeper eventually being stretchered off.

In first-half stoppage-time, Justine Vanhaevermaet headed home from a Lily Woodham free kick to get the Royals back in the game.

Two minutes after the restart, Emma Harries won a penalty which Natasha Dowie put away, Reading then going in front on 55 minutes when Deanne Rose’s cross was finished by Harries.

Hammers go seventh

West Ham went seventh in the table when sending Everton to a 3-0 defeat.

Hanna Bennison had her 22-yard strike tipped onto the bar and over by Hammers’ keeper Anna Leat, Valerie Gauvin later also hit the bar with a header off a short corner.

It was West Ham who did score before the break though, Katerina Zvitkova exchanging passes with Lisa Evans and forcing the ball home.

Evans was also involved in the second goal, bringing a save from which Dagny Brynjarsdottir netted the rebound.

Claudia Walker had an effort ruled out for offside but did register successfully in the dying minutes.

#FAWNL: Huddersfield and Wolves Women gain ground on top two

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter