Barclays FA WSL: Chelsea Women win with second-half penalty

Chelsea were awarded a penalty at Birmingham City
Chelsea’s Niamh Charles heads the ball towards goal which is handled by Lisa Robertson. (Photo by Nathan Stirk/Getty Images)

Barclays FA Women’s Super League leaders Chelsea had to be patient in beating Birmingham City, after Arsenal sank Aston Villa 7-0. 

Manchester United 3-0 West Ham United
Leicester City 0-0 Reading
Arsenal 7-0 Aston Villa
Birmingham City 0-1 Chelsea
Everton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur

Chelsea have to battle to beat Birmingham

Chelsea finished the weekend top by four points again from Arsenal but have played a game more than the Gunners.

Sam Kerr rattled the Birmingham crossbar and Pernille Harder missed a great chance early on, as City held Chelsea to a goalless first half.

Emily Ramsey made a good one-handed save to deny Harder but Chelsea made the breakthrough with a 70th-minute penalty by the Danish forward.

Ann-Katrin Berger had to tip an Emily Whelan strike over the top in stoppage-time

Arsenal sink Villa 7-0

Vivianne Miedema scored an early brace for Arsenal against Aston Villa
Arsenal’s Vivianne Miedema opens the scoring against Aston Villa. (Photo by Paul Harding/Getty Images)

Vivianne Miedema struck twice in the first 13 minutes, beating Sian Rogers for power, then firing home unchallenged from the edge of the box.

Rogers tipped a Beth Mead shot onto the bar and saved well from Miedema, whose effort early in the second half came back off the woodwork and in off Villa’s Rachel Corsie.

Mead buried a super strike from outside the box, Lotte Wubben-Moy then adding her name to the score-sheet when Villa failed to clear a free kick.

Stina Blackstenius scored from an acute angle and Nikita Parris got her 50th WSL goal from the spot, having won the penalty.

Man Utd back into third

Manchester United beat West am to go back ito third in the WSL
Manchester United’s Martha Thomas celebrates after scoring the opener. (Photo by Charlotte Tattersall/Getty Images)

Manchester United went back ahead of Manchester City by a single point but from a game more.

Katie Zelem and Leah Galton combined perfectly to set up Martha Thomas, who headed Manchester United into a 12th-minute lead.

The lead was doubled on 20 minutes, Ona Battle sending Thomas away and her pass was turned into her own net by Grace Fisk.

Mary Earps made a flying save to deny Adriana Leon a first-half reply for the Hammers.

Galton stretched to turn home the third goal,  from Alessia Russo’s driven cross early in the second half.

Leicester pick up point towards survival

Leicester City Women add point in survival battle
Shannon O’Brien of Leicester City shoots under pressure from Reading. (Photo by Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

Leicester City played out a goalless draw with Reading, as they edged nearer securing their WSL status.

Shannon O’Brien hit the post for the Foxes and Natasha Flint was denied by Royals’ keeper Grace Moloney.

Gemma Evans went close to winning it for Reading at the death but Demi Lambourne saved the volley.

Everton level twice late on against Spurs 

Asmita Ale gave Spurs the lead at Everton
Tottenham’s Asmita Ale celebrates her early goal with Eveliina Summanen. (Photo by Charlotte Tattersall/Getty Images)

Tottenham led for 80 minutes but three goals in the last five or so saw Everton take a point.

Asmita Ale had Spurs in front from Eveliina Summanen’s pass but substitute Danielle Turner levelled when heading in a Kenza Dali cross.

Even though Jessica Naz set up Josie Green to score with her first touch, Megan Finnigan equalised in stoppage time for the Toffees.

FAWNL: Billericay Town and Liverpool Feds promoted

Upcoming Events

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter