Aberdeen Ladies Denied First Win In Stoppage-Time

Aberdeen were denied a first SWPL 1 win of the season by Rangers’ injury-time equaliser and SWPL 2 basement side East Fife drew 0-0 at leaders Forfar Farmington.

Sunday 24th September
Aberdeen 2-2 Rangers
Glasgow City 5-0 Spartans
Hamilton Academical 0-4 Celtic
Stirling University 0-2 Hibernian

Forfar Farmington 0-0 East Fife
Hearts 2-4 Glasgow Girls
Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale 0-2 Jeanfield Swifts
Motherwell 4-1 Buchan

City sting Spartans with flying start 

Unbeaten Glasgow City remained top of the Scottish Building Society SWPL 1 with a 5-0 win over Spartans.

City were two up in only 4 minutes as Abbi Grant converted a Nicola Docherty cross at the back post and struck again from a Leanne Ross delivery.

It might have been a hat-trick in the first 9 minutes and although Grant saw her shot parried, Noelle Murray followed up to make it 3-0.

Hayley Lauder fired in the fourth off the post and Katie McCabe set up Ross to round off the scoring before the break.

Early goals for Hibs

Second-placed Hibernian were 2-0 winners away at Stirling University, where the goals were all done and dusted by the 20th minute.

Abi Harrison cut back a Lucy Graham through-ball for Rachel McLauchlan to score on 13 minutes.

Amy Gallacher and Lisa Robertson then combined for Harrison to curl her shot home.

Ewens And Ross bag braces for Celtic

Celtic are back up into third spot after a 4-0 result at Hamilton.

The Hoops went ahead when Hamilton failed to clear a cross and it broke for Natalie Ross to finish.

Ruesha Littlejohn’s free-kick hit the post for Celtic before Sarah Ewens netted from close range.

Ewens’ second after the interval was a cool finish into the bottom corner and she later set up Ross to also complete a brace.

Rangers deny Dons first win

Aberdeen registered their third point of the campaign when drawing 2-2 with Rangers but it would have been their victory but for an injury-time equaliser.

Aberdeen went in 1-0 up but a long free kick from Rachael O’Neil was parried away and Lauren Davidson was there to capitalise for the Gers.

Rangers came close to taking the lead whens a defensive header rattled the bar before bouncing on the line and away.

It was Aberdeen who went in front again with just 7 minutes remaining, only for O’Neil’s ball into the box to go straight in and make it 2-2.

Leaders held by basement side

Bottom of SWPL 2 East Fife held leaders Forfar Farmington to a surprise goalless draw. A frustrating afternoon for Forfar saw them fail to convert their chances, whilst also being hitting the bar twice, while East Fife were delighted with an ‘excellent defensive display’.

Photo – forfarfarmington.com

Motherwell took advantage to cut Forfar’s lead to six point by beating Buchan 4-1, as they stretchef their undefeated run to 13 league matches. Buchan did score first but Suzanne Grant swiftly levelled, with Kaitlyn Canavan and Stacey Cook making it 3-1 by half-time. Grant later scored her second from a penalty.

Glasgow Girls were 4-2 winners at Hearts, thanks to two goals in the last 8 minutes or so. Michelle Stewart twice cancelled out goals by Glasgow’s Kirsty MacDonald and Megan Logan, before Lauren Evans made it 3-2 and Lauren Coleman got the fourth in added time.

Jeanfield Swifts got the games’ two goals at Edinburgh University Hutchison Vale, both coming in the last 6 minutes. Rhianna Tweedie netted from long range and Jade MacDonald made sure of the win with a second Swifts’ goal.

Featured photo – @GlasgowCityFC

Would you like to read more women’s football news just like this? Sign up to receive the She Kicks Women’s Football newsletter